Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rabbits

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes.
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses
And what's with all the carrots?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
-Anya

I don't think I have always been freaked out by rabbits. I definitely am now though. They are just so frantically twitchy, and spazzy, and their poop looks like their food.

I used to have to look after my uncle's rabbits when him and my aunt went out of town. I hated having to reach into their cages and get their food bowls. They would start moving around like crazy, and, I don't know, it would just discomforting. I devised several methods of limiting my contact with said rabbits. Method number one involved wearing an oven mitt. Though I figured it was pretty thorough protection from one of their "attacks" it made getting their food bowls out really hard (I couldn't form a proper grip). I tried other things (which all failed for one reason or another). The only effective method was getting my then boyfriend to do it for me. He thought I was a big freak for being scared of rabbits, but putting up with his mocking was such a small price to pay.

My worst rabbit experience ever though was arriving one day to feed them (alone) and finding one unusually still. I didn't want to poke it with one of my fingers for two reasons: 1) It might bite my finger clean off in a fit of spazziness and 2) It was probably dead, and as much as live rabbits freak me out, a dead one would be even creepier. I mean, it would be eerie to have this normally frantic creature not react to a prod. I got something to poke it with, and sure enough it was dead. My dad came over and buried it in my uncle's back yard.

No comments: